The Future of Sports News: Personalization

As we have learned in class, this generation has become reliant and immersed in the digital world. The rise of technology is affecting how individuals live their day-to-day lives. Due to the rise of technology, everything has been and continues to change; we have to learn how to adapt to this digital era. Digital disruption is changing the way journalism is done. Traditional journalism is no longer so prevalent as the new digital technologies have taken over. Companies and journalists need to keep adapting their traditional ways in order to keep the audience attached and to stay alive during this new digital world. News sources have expanded to online outlets, and individuals now have countless avenues to receive their news. One aspect that has undergone many changes, or at least advancements, is sports journalism.

 “With the advent of the internet, the last decade has seen an explosion in sports news, analysis and chatter, with dedicated fans continuing to devour as much as they can get.” – The International Business Times.

Prior to the digital era, individuals received their spots news and updates from the television and newspaper. Everyone received his or her stats and coverage in the same format, same angle…. well, just the same. The rise of the Internet brought many more outlets and ways to receive sports coverage and analysis, as well as watching games.

Beyond the newspaper, television and even websites, bring us bloggers, fans, and athletes breaking their own news via websites and social media sites, such as Twitter and Facebook. This activity has further allowed individuals to make their sports news intake more personalized.

Below is part of an infographic that I found which displays how popular Twitter and Facebook are in receiving sports news, and how much it trumps television and sports radio. 81% of the people said that they prefer the Internet for their sports news.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 11.34.25 AM

Twitter, and other social media sites, allows anyone to post their own news and content. Coverage from sporting events are constantly updated onto these social media sites. You are watching the same game as some of the people you are following, and you are able to get a different take on the game than what just the TV reporters are saying. You have the ability to see the score, highlights, controversial information, plays throughout the game, etc.

Below are live tweets from the Packers game from this past football Sunday.

5

4

3

2

1

This displays a constant update as to what is happening in the game, with a little bias towards the Packers. The audience can tell I am rooting for the Packers, and anyone who follows me can receive updates on the game. My tweets allows fans to get sports updates from Twitter, and not need to go watch the game or check out ESPN in order to get the updates. With the rise in popularity of social media sites, such as Twitter, most famous people have them, including athletes and broadcasters. Individuals choose whom they would like to follow, and it allows them to receive their news income from whomever they choose, which means they are personalizing how they get their sports updates.

With the rise of Twitter, and other social media sites, athletes don’t even need a reporter to transcribe their game and post-game quotes; athletes have the capability of posting their own thoughts themselves, and within seconds and minutes, thousands of people will see it. Fans can read what their favorite athletes have to say rather than tuning into the news on television. Derek Jeter stated that fans are able to connect with their favorite athletes, and vice versa, “…straight through social media, without any filter.” ESPN, as well as other news outlets, will now go straight to an athlete’s Twitter account to show what they have been saying, rather than showing an interview.

There are many other ways in which sports news has become more personalized.

  • The MLB site allows individuals to watch a game not only on their website, yet from any angle that the viewer chooses to. In fact, it is not even only MLB who does this, but NFL as well. If you want to watch the game from the quarterback’s point of view- you can do that. The audience is the director.
  • On SB Nation, they have more than 300 separate web sites maintained primarily by part-time writers who put together posts, facilitate dialogue and interact with commentators. These game threads are a way that people can communicate and engage with other fans about a team, play, etc. this allows fans to read dialogue that they want to read and receive news in which they want to hear. ESPN lost 5 million visitors year-over-year, while SB Nation grew by 20%. This shows how technology is affecting the new world of sports journalism, and how it will continue to change for journalists, organizations and fans.
  • Smartphones have become extremely popular. In fact, according to Pew Research Internet Project, as of January 2014, 58% of American adults have a smartphone. Because they have become an avid factor in many people’s daily lives, sports have reached into the app world. There are many different apps allowing fans to download and select specific settings for what they want to see. For example, the Team Stream app allows individuals to stay in the know with their favorite teams and get handpicked sports stories from around the web. Individuals can pick their favorite teams and topics, open a team stream for an overview of everything that’s happening to their team, browse the personalized home screen for the biggest stories in sports, blended with top stories for your team, read articles from the bleacher report and from best sports sources across the web, as well as get news alert notifications for breaking stories. Fans are able to get notifications for breaking stories, before it even breaks into the news on radio and/or television. Fans are able to get all types of information on their team from just one source, rather than browsing multiple sites. There are plenty of other apps similar to this, such as the Sport Center and ScoreCenter app. ScoreCenter makes it easier to follow your favorite teams, anytime, anywhere as well as stay up to date on the latest scores with personalized scoreboards and alerts. Individuals can also watch video highlights and analysis. These apps allow users to collect the most important sports information that is fitted to their liking. It keeps people without a television or computer nearby to stay “in the know”. The ESPN app allows individuals to watch sporting events straight from their mobile devices. These apps allow fans to customize their notifications and news they wish to receive. There are plenty of sporting apps out there, and only more to come. These apps allow users and fans to be more interactive and participate more in the game.

BELOW ARE PICTURES OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE WHEN ON THE BLEACHER REPORT APP- Team Stream.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 12.23.21 PM Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 12.24.29 PM Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 12.23.57 PM

  • Fantasy Football, a popular activity very similar to the regular NFL season, is another aspect that creates personalization. Fantasy football allows individuals to interact and compete against each other. Individuals create fantasy teams that are built from drafted players. The fans select which players they want on their team before the season starts based on how well they think they are going to do throughout the season. They way individuals get points is through their players stats in the real games. This creates personalization because it enables fans to choose their players and follow them throughout the season. Fans are essentially creating their own football games on the side. Fans become even more interactive with the games throughout the season because they are in essence, rooting for their players on their own team.
  • Snapchat has been a popular app for a few years now, yet recently, they created the “our story” feature. This combines snaps from a particular event into one continuous stream, and it is live for numerous events and for all users. Individuals will notice a “live” section in the story section, which are essentially stories contributed by the Snapchat community of events. For example, on college game days, there will be a “College Game-day” story in which anyone who chooses to post to it will get on the stream. This leads people to watch certain sporting events right on snap chat. It allows individuals to watch one event from countless amount of people’s eyes.
  • The last aspect that I am going to focus on the most that creates personalization among sports is Livestream. Blogging allows anyone to view and gather sports updates, videos, stats, etc. However, Livestream takes it to a whole other level. Livestream is a live streaming video platform, which allows users to view and broadcast video content using just their camera and computer through the Internet. Livestream has many different topics, yet I am going to focus specifically on sports. When directed to the site, one has the option of clicking watch or broadcast. If one goes the route of watching, then after clicking the tab of their topic (we’ll go with sports), you have the option to click on a countless amount of events. Once you find the event that you wish to watch, there are many different broadcasts and videos on that one event. This site allows individuals to watch whatever they want from any source that they choose, as well as perform their own broadcasts if they wish to do so. This site makes broadcasting very simple and personable. Their mission is  to democratize live video broadcasting and provide the tools to bring every event live online.”

We thought the television was amusing and exciting when it first came out, and then even more so when the endless amount of channel were available. Now, forget the television. We are able to watch practically everything online, and not just what has happened in the past, but live events. You are also able to watch Livestream not only on your computer, yet on your iPhone, iPod, iPad, as well as on Google Play for those with an android or tablet. With the rise of the Internet, will the future of television essentially be online? Below is a quick, yet interesting, e-mail interview with Matt Faber, a consultant with Livestream. He makes some interesting points about how Livestream is so personalized and the different aspects in which the site will change in the future.

1) what was the main incentive for creating live stream?
To provide a way for anyone with a live event to stream it over the internet and reach a broader audience.


> 2) how has it changed throughout the years?
Originally, you needed production tools and a powerful computer to do a live stream-.  But now everyone has a device in their hand (iPhone, Android) that can use a Livestrem app to immediately start broadcasting live.


> 3) what do you think will change about it in the upcoming years?
From a production standpoint, you still need a powerful computer and separate production tools to do a live stream containing multiple cameras, and other features (graphics, chroma-key, etc).  But over the next few years, the average consumer laptop will be able to run software containing these production tools

From a content standpoint, you will be able to view live events that aren’t “big enough” to have tv deals.  Sports is a great example….an Ironman Challenge can now be broadcast to anyone.  Or a  soccer game that may be televised in the UK, can be live streamed in other countries .

> 4) how do you feel it will affect the future of journalism/broadcasting (giving and receiving news)?
It’s really impactful for breaking news. Someone with an iPhone in Ferguson, Missouri last week could be capturing footage or interviewing people that a traditional news outlet might not.   And “citizen journalists” can become new voices that build followings for their live reports.


> 5) Do you feel this is personalizing the way we receive and give news? if so, why? if not, why?
Yes.  We can “choose” what live news (hard news, entertainment news, sports, weather, lifestyle news) we want and what sources we want it from.  This already exists for “archived” news stories…but now we can watch news as it happens based on what we are interested in


> 6) How  would you say it differs  from other similar sites/apps?
       The difference is that you are seeing something “live” rather than “near live”.   So it really is tailored for certain types of content—breaking news, sports, live events where you have a chance to be part of the audience even if you are not physically in attendance.  One of the most popular uses of Livestream are houses of worship–that live stream their weekly sermons.  Another is schools live streaming everything from concerts to graduations.


> 7) have you received positive and/or negative feedback about it? if so, what kind of feedback have you received about it?
        The feedback is generally positive.  Some traditional news outlets might have concerns that “citizen journalism” is not necessarily responsible journalism, and that is true.  But the audience will always gravitate to sources they trust–whether it’s an established source or a new source that could only exist because of live streaming.  Some live event rights holders have wondered whether someone will attend their event if they can live stream it–but ultimately, there is no substitute for the real thing (if that was true, Met Life stadium wouldn’t be sold out for Giants games even though you can see it better watching at home!).

Digital disruption in journalism, specifically sports, has led to an extraordinary range and volume of content choices. With the rise of competitors for journalists, the way in which we can get news will only become more creative. News organizations are not only in competition with each other, yet also with individuals all over online outlets. In fact, teams and leagues have also entered into the content business themselves. The International Business Times states, “community generated content bubbled up from blogs and user submissions receive millions of monthly page views, and a new crop of innovative technology companies have devised ways to generate compelling sports content in an entirely automated fashion.” Because of all of these new online sites, like Livestream and other bloggers, everyone is in competition with the type of content that they put out and how they put it out. Beyond these sites are also the apps, which allow us to receive the only type of sports news and updates that we want to hear. These customized news applications are popular and changing the way we seek sports information and analysis. Journalism is becoming more like an art with people making their own personalized videos and their own commentaries.

Are these online sources and apps going to be our new form of sports, and other news, intake? How will the digital world and technology change the way we see and receive sports updates now?

BELOW IS AN INTERVIEW WITH EMMY AWARD WINNING SPORTS PRODUCER- TODD EHRLICH. He touches upon how he feels technology has changed the way in which we view sports as well as receive sports news and updates. He also mentions what he thinks the future will bring for sports.

Overall, we can see that the way in which we watch sports and receive updates are changing. Everything is adapting to fit into the digital world- putting events and broadcasts online, making scores and analysis instantaneous, and making all of it more personalized. Fans used to watch all of the events the same way- same angle- on the television or read about the updates on the radio or in the newspaper. Now, there are so many different outlets to watch and hear about sports, and cater it to your own liking; therefore, making it more personalized to what you enjoy.

How much more personalized can sports journalism get?

What will happen in 30 years from now?

How is the idea of watching sports going to change? Are these new apps going to be the future of sports viewing?

I am extremely interested to see what will come in the future being that what has already changed is quite extraordinary.

SOURCES:

http://pando.com/2014/10/01/derek-jeters-new-site-wont-kill-traditional-sports-journalism-its-already-dead/

http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/sports-journalism-digital-age-1090350

The Peloton Bike- cycling classes right from the convenience of your home

As I was out shopping on black Friday, a tradition that I do every year with my stepfather, I noticed a technology that I have never heard of before and found amusing!! Exercise classes are something that has become very popular, especially spinning. There are many different types of spin classes offered everywhere- from soul cycle, to real rider, to fly wheel, and more. Many people have bikes, and other machines, in their house if they wish to exercise at home, and not make their way to the gym or a class. However, what I discovered was something that allows you to “be in a class” without having to actually go- otherwise known as the Peloton Bike. It is essentially bringing indoor cycling classes into your home, live and on-demand. It allows you to join a class and stream unlimited live and on demand rides from indoor cycling coaches direct to the bike. It makes it feel as if you are fully immersed in a studio class experience, right from the convenience of your own home. It also allows you to “take the ride outside”, by giving a virtual ride through trails and landscapes. You are able to access your total ride history as well as a full breakdown of all the ride metrics right from your bike or online.

0215720da5ae81c8f3b61357ba22c094_large

peloton Screen-shot-2013-04-30-at-7.28.04-PM

This to me is taking technology to a whole new level. Of course there are plenty of exercise videos that people can put in their computers or televisions and do it from home. However, never would I have thought one could be on a machine and not just on their own, yet actually in a class. It made me wonder if in the next 30 years or so, will exercise classes even be something that is popular? Or will individuals just be taking and participating in classes right from their home? This is something that could potentially become very popular; I thought it was extremely interesting and wanted to share.

Social Media IS Dumbing Us Down

2014-06-09-SocialMediaStressSyndrome

Social Media has become extremely prevalent in the 21st century, especially among the latest generation. There are debates and studies that have been done trying to prove if social media is making individuals smarter or dumber. I do believe that social media has some positive aspects, yet overall, it is making individuals dumber. Although we are able to get more information at a quicker pace, I don’t think we are actually learning. There is so much information out there, that it is almost too much. According to phys.org, this large amount of information that we can access can limit our ability for concentration, contemplation and reflection. We are receiving and reading all of this information online; however, this information does not contain all of the information regarding the story. Also, with the large amount of information, it is hard for us to think for ourselves. Everyone is making comments on a story, whether it is through Facebook or Twitter, and it in turn, erodes our common sense. We are unable to work things out on our own because of everyone’s comments around us. People also start copying what others think because we don’t put real thought into what we are reading.

With all of the information that is coming in, it doesn’t allow us to fully focus on a story and learn about it because there is so much information at our fingertips to read.

I also found it interesting that we are more likely to forget things if we think we can find them again online. For example, if someone teaches us something in school or at work, we know in the back of our heads that we can type right into google to find out the answers if we forget it. Therefore, we are not thoroughly thinking about things and learning them. We are losing our ability to think critically and analytically. With everyone else’s thought around us, it’s very common that we respond without actually engaging.

Social media, like Twitter, is “nibbling away at our attention spans”.  It is a valuable news aggregator. However, due to the overabundance of information, we think we know a lot when in fact, we don’t know a lot about anything. Instead, we know a little about a lot of things. I may know that a new bill was signed in congress, the Giants won the World Series, and that Lululemon released a new line of clothing, but never know anything more than the headline. The story that has been dumbed down to 140 characters, and therefore we become used to only reading a small amount of the story. We are not reading long articles that explain a situation and thoroughly analyzing because we become used to reading things in such small doses. We also have become so reliant and addicted to social media that we cant participate in something for more than a certain amount of times without checking our phones or computer and going on social media sites.

c97b19399c943ce77ceee54f13f5195e

Another point is that with everything becoming more personalized, many social media sites, such as Facebook and LinkedIn give us the information that we are most interested in, not the information that is most important. If we “like” something on Facebook, we will get more of that type of content on our feed. Also, if we have clicked on something on the site, then the sites are more likely to feed you similar kinds of information. This could be information however that I can look up on my own since it is what I am interested in. I still would not be getting content about issues that I would normally not find, and therefore, not making me smarter.

The New York Times had an interesting article with two quotes that really stood out to me. The first one was that “social media is eroding characteristics that are essentially human- our ability to reflect, pursuit of meaning, genuine empathy, sense of community connected by something deeper than snark r political affinity.” The second quote was how the article ended, which simply put it that we have become “the generation that had information, but not context. Butter, but not bread. Craving, but not longing.” Social media sites have changed the way we absorb news in that all news is now presented in a content that is shareable and over the top. News is more about charts, infographics, headlines and videos and less about the substance of th story. Many websites use the term “breaking news” loosely because they want people to share the information on social media. Websites like Buzzfeed and Mashable exist on the premise of shared content. These websites present stories in the most entertaining way possible in order to get people to physically share. Sites are leaving out so much of the context, and otherwise juice. Therefore, we are becoming informed about a situation, yet not really learning due to the lack of context and substance that is there.

Below is an interesting infographic that I found, which displays some facts about how the internet is having negative affects on the new generation.

the-internet-is-making-our-children-stupid

SOURCES:

http://time.com/9207/social-media-is-making-you-stupid/

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-social-networking-stupid.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2551578/Is-Twitter-making-STUPID-Social-networking-sites-making-hard-people-think-themselves.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/22/magazine/the-twitter-trap.html?_r=0

Good Morning America Newscast Review

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 7.11.35 PM

Good Morning America is an accumulation of news, weather, entertainment and more. The show is divided into breaking news, pop culture, interviews, sometimes sports, and after watching various episodes, it seems more entertaining that straight news. The episode that I watched carefully for this class was on Tuesday, November 11th. It started with some breaking news, and as the show continued, talked about other news stories and then into more entertainment news. The show started with breaking news that they would elaborate on further in the show, and then with the weather. There was a lot going on on the screen and the ticker at the bottom was moving extremely fast, which to me, was distracting. The first few stories, which were heavily news based, went very fast. They did not spend a lot of time on them, and it was hard to keep up with due to how fast they were moving. There were some stories that they put more emphasis on, which in turn, made me more in tuned to them. For example, they spent a good amount of time on a sinkhole that occurred in Florida, as well as the death of Joan Rivers. I also enjoyed learning abut the “miracle mom” that returned from the dead. Apparently her heart stopped, and she saw parts of the afterlife, and unexpectedly, came back to life. I also enjoyed learning about the shark attack and how one of the reporters/anchors on the show went and immersed himself among sharks to experience what it is like.

There were many other stories, yet those are some of the ones that stood out to me. Good Morning America is an extremely different feel for a newscast than lets say, CBS or FOX. A lot of the stories were made out to seem very dramatic, with the music choices in the background, as well as the tone of voice used. Because of this, sometimes it did not sound like a newscast. The music choices in some story, took away from the severity of it.  It also gave more of a talk show feel, due to all of the anchors/reporters sitting around the table conversing about some of the topics, and laughing with each other.

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 7.29.53 PM

An example that stood out to me with how they don’t seem like they are “real news” was when they were discussing the story of a girl who got kidnapped from her bed. About two minutes after they explained the story, they went into how you can make your house safe in order to prevent cases like this happening. They moved away from the news story pretty quickly, and it went into a case where it reminded me of a reality television show. The show ended with a lot of pop news, including information about movies/TV, music (Interview with Taylor Swift) and celebrities.

I definitely enjoy watching Good Morning America. To me, it is more entertaining, lighter and easier to watch than hard news, like the CBS morning show. I worked at CBS News over the summer, and comparing the two, CBS was a lot more serious and did not include as many visual effects, as well as music. Some may argue that Good Morning America is not real news and does not include information that should be herd, which is possible. Yet, the way they made this show made it more entertaining for me to watch and listen to news. I think it depends on who is watching the newscast and their motive for watching that depends on which newscast they enjoy the most.

Good Morning America has a lot to offer that some of the other newscasts does not. I enjoyed how Good Morning America included a lot of b-roll, which allowed the viewer to see what was going on, and not just hear about it. For example, in the sinkhole story, they included a visual effect showing how sinkholes are created. Therefore, for those who are unaware of what exactly they are, they are able to see it and understand the severity of it.

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 7.19.34 PM

Overall, I was captured by the show, for the most part, and enjoyed all of the different types of stories and topics that were included.

Otis Livingston, a prominent person in the world of sports

OtisLivingston

This past summer I had the opportunity to intern at CBS in New York City. I was working in PR, yet I had the chance to visit and tour the local sports a few times and briefly talk to Otis Livingston. Otis Livingston is a sports anchor at WCBS-TV and has won countless Emmy Awards. He has been working at WCBS for five years and prior to that worked with WNBC. He has reported on the NBA Finals, the Stanley Cup, the World Series, the U.S Open Tennis Championship, the U.S Open Golf Championship, the Triple Crown, and the New York City Marathon (aka he has reported on countless important, and exciting, sporting events). He was the sideline reporter for the New York Giants preseason and currently does it for the New York Jets. He sometimes works as a sideline reporter for Southeastern Conference college football games on CBS and college basketball tournaments for CBS and Turner Sports. Aside from reporting, he had the honor of carrying the Olympic torch through Harlem in 2004, as part of the torch’s world tour leading up to the Summer Olympics. He went onto being the field reporter for NBC’s coverage of the Athens Games. Prior to NBC and CBS, he worked for many smaller television stations as a sports anchor and reporter. For example, he worked as a sports reporter for WWOR-TV and hosted “Sports Team Wrap-Up”, which is a 15-minute sports extra show on Sunday nights. he also had the opportunity to play one season for the Kansas JayHawks basketball team as a point guard.

Livingston has had plenty of experience as a sports reporter and is extremely knowledgably at what he does. He is definitely a role model for those interested in sports broadcasting accomplishing a lot in the world of sports, as well as how well he does his job, being extremely informed as well as entertaining to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V–8O17IOwk

I like this video (0-27 seconds) because it shows Otis reporting yet also being playful, which is how he typically does his job. This is why I think he does a great job of capturing the audiences’ attention as he is getting across what needs to be said.

Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 3.38.58 PM

Otis does use Twitter, both to tweet and retweet. Many of his tweets include information and news going on in the sports world, yet just a brief sentence to make it more attracted to social media users as oppose to the actual news. For example, one of them says- “first they sign CuddYEAR and then the have Rookie of the year Jacob DeGrom! Good day for Mets!” another one states- “Sanchize is looking good tonight! Not sure what jets r feeling right about now but this is a great graphic (homemade)” and then he puts in a diagram. From these tweets we can see that he is informing sports fans in a way that is not very grammatical and more playful and relatable in the world of social media. This is interesting to note that he is involving himself in ways that the digital world is changing journalism.

I had the opportunity to interview him through email and ask him a few questions about how he feels technology and social media are changing the world of sports and what he expects for the future of sports broadcasting/sports journalism.

1) Social media has become so prevalent over the past few years- how has it made an impact/influence on getting information out to the public?
2) what are your thoughts on incorporating social media into sports broadcast/sports TV/sports news?
(This answers both questions 1 and 2)
I love tweeting and instagramming from sporting events. With the use of pictures and video, I can give my followers an inside look at what’s going on pregame, during the game and post game. A look they wouldn’t ordinarily have while watching from their homes. I can also give then injury updates and valuable information during the games. My followers make sure to be on Twitter or IG while I’m at a sporting event because they don’t know what I may bring to them. I’m also able to tease what I’ll have on my nightly sports segment on our nightly newscasts.
3) what technological changes have you noticed over the years in the sports broadcasting field?
Technology continues to drive sports broadcasting further and further, but at times I feel that they contradict each other. For instance, networks brag about showing their games in high definition, and then they’ll do a skype interview that’s of lesser broadcast quality. Aside from that, technology has really changed the way we watch games. Multiple game angles, super slow motion, go pro cameras, and overhead cameras have forced leagues to adopt instant replay review. That’s something that wasn’t always the case.
4) what changes and impacts do you think will happen in the future of sports broadcasting/sports news?
If I knew, then i’d probably be an executive instead of working on this side of the camera. But I think the sky is the limit and everything is in play. Americans have lesser attention spans and I don’t mean that in a negative way. Games & sports shows are in constant competition with social media and the latest phone apps. I envision viewers having more control over what they watch and how they watch it. Perhaps they decide what camera angle they want for a certain at bat, and who they want to call game 7 of the world series. Also, I’m afraid that the multitude and the accuracy of cameras will eliminate the bulk of officiating jobs. i.e. the back judges during field goals, and baseball umpires who don’t always have the best angle.
5) Being that these days anyone can post or find news from many different social media sources (Twitter, Facebook, etc.), does it take away anything from traditional sports broadcasting? does it affect the field in a negative way? if so, how?
I see more and more blogs and “experts” on social media. Not sure that’s a good or bad thing. I don’t consider myself an expert. I think I’m a person with a unique view of sports and sports topics. I am eager to continue learning new aspects of both. Others are making themselves out to be experts when a lot of the time they are getting their information from others. That’s dangerous. Also as these experts put out their own information it’s seen as the gospel and wrong info is spewed out. There are writers and other braid casters that get it right. I think some the faux reporters take away from the legit work being done.

The Tale of a Tennis Match

1

A solo picture of the court before the match takes place.

2

one opponent tying her shoe to make sure she is ready for the match.

3

the other opponent getting her hands and wrists moving before play time.

4

in motion ready to serve- match is about to begin.

5

the ball is up….it’s play time.

6

afar shot of the two players during their match…..(doesn’t seem quite intense!)

7

match over….seems like the girl on the right won by the facial expressions.

8

friends walking off the court…yet one is happy about her victory, and the other feels shameful.

9

me high-fiving my friend, giving her recognition and support for winning!

How Innovation of Technology Impacts Sports

Technology is becoming a huge part of everyone’s every day lives and therefore, has begun to have a large affect on how we find and do certain tasks. In thinking about different technology innovations related to sports, I came across a bunch of interesting ideas. However, I found something that stood out to me- the Microsoft Surface Pro tablets. These are starting to play a large part on the sidelines in the NFL, and it is “changing the game”. Studying pictures taken during games and strategizing accordingly is a large aspect of the game, being that the NFL coaches and players can make or break a game, season or career based on their ability to study these pictures. The usage of this tablet has cut time spent waiting for picture by 75 percent, being that coaches and players only wait 4-5 seconds to see a picture. Kimber Brown believes that process will hopefully lead to a more efficient interpretation of plays, which will lead to a better performance. These pictures also have a zoom capability, which allows the players and coaches to get however close they need to understand what is happening and make decisions. This tablet is now providing NFL players with a new edge by decreasing the wait time for pictures and increasing the amount of relevant information that come with them. The tablet also allows coaches to compare 4 pictures at one time and revisit plays later on in the game. Aside from the awesome photo-ops, the tablets can be used to access a player’s medical information as well. The tablet allows monitoring of players with suspected head trauma, being that concussions have become a major issue in the NFL. This tablet seems like a great invention because it helps the players succeed on the field, as well as off of the field.

Surface-Pro-3-Tablet

image

microsoft-nfl-tablets-ipads-tech

The advancement of technology is astonishing and has expanded achievements within sports, as well as outside the sports world. Hopefully even more advancements can be made in the future and create even more utilizations that we never thought would be possible!

Sports through Visualization

Being that technology is a large aspect in today’s world, and consumes people’s every day lives, it has become very simple and easy to learn information through visual representation. These visual cues are a fun way to understand and become knowledgeable about different material. Sports have countless statistics and information, and many times it is displayed through these visual representations, also known as Infographics. Whether you want to learn about which team has the most points or which individual players have the best statistics, you can find them in an infographic. Below are two different Infographics that are different yet I like both of them. I discovered them on Pinterest, a source where I get a lot of diverse information.

LeBron James is one of the best basketball players, with two NBA championships, four MVP awards, two Olympic gold medals, an NBA scoring title, and an NBA Rookie of the Year award. This summer he opted out of his contract with the Miami Heat to go return to where he started, for the Cleveland Cavaliers. When he first opted out of his contract, in every newspaper article I read, there was something about where he was going to go, and how likely it was for him to go to certain teams. He was a big talk of the town, and a topic that I have heard multiple times was whether LeBron or Michael Jordan was a better basketball player. I stumbled on an infographic that compares them as players- showing the year they were drafted, money per season, an impact they made, and a few statistics. There are no graphs, yet it is easy to read at a first glance to learn a few pieces of info comparing the two players. I enjoyed being able to compare the players looking at graphics rather than reading loads of information.

Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 9.59.26 PM

Another infographic that I enjoyed is shown below, displaying sports statistics in an easy, great way from NFL week 3.

Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 10.28.05 PMScreen Shot 2014-10-26 at 10.28.19 PMScreen Shot 2014-10-26 at 10.28.27 PM

This one is more about current standings than a comparison. The first part shows a map of the US with scores from each game in the state that the games were played in. it displays for you how many wins occurred at home base vs. away games, point breakdowns, averages and it shows the points by type. All of these are very easy to read. What I like is that it is it has a few different displays of stats rather than lets say one bar graph. It also continues to show the top players of the week, with a picture of them and their team, what position they are, their name, and their stats compared to the NFL average. At the bottom shows a little tidbit on a milestone that occurred. I really liked this infographic because it portrays a lot of information, yet it is not overwhelming. It is different than traditional media because it is a picture of the statistics during this week, rather than an article writing it out play-by-play on what happened. This makes it an easy fast way to understand what happened this week, and you don’t need to read numerous articles to be caught up in what happened during that week of football.

Overall, both of these Infographics did a good job at taking a lot of information and putting it together in an organized way to help the audience understand the major stats and be knowledgeable about the topic or what happened.

The Effects of Sports Journalism: Interview with Stephen Shapiro

I interviewed student and friend, Stephen Shapiro. He is a former athlete, well-educated in sports and nevertheless, a huge sports fan. I wanted to find out how he gets his sports news, and how he feels sports journalism will change in the future due to digital disruption and the rise of technology.

sports-journalism1

typing

tweet

These pictures above are meant to portray that “paper news” is becoming less relevant, and many consumers are moving towards online sites to get their news. The last picture shows a few sports tweets from ESPN. In my interview, Stephen mentions how much of his sports news consumption comes from Twitter, and that the future of sports journalism is going to become more about the speed in which news comes out, and how easy the accessibility is, rather than who actually reports it and where.